Veritas NetBackup 7.7: Advanced Administration Course Outline
The Veritas NetBackup Appliances 2.7.x: Configuration and Management course provides IT professionals with the skills necessary to configure and manage Veritas NetBackup appliances. You will learn about the general tools and processes used when working with NetBackup appliances, such as the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu and the NetBackup Appliance Web Console, as well as configuration and maintenance tasks specific to the NetBackup 5240 and 5330 appliances. Additionally this course explains the process of initial configuration, backup operations as they pertain to the appliance,
monitoring, managing and troubleshooting a Veritas NetBackup Appliance environment. An appendix is included for 5230 configuration and management. Note: The scope of this course does NOT include general NetBackup concepts such as architecture in a
NetBackup domain and backup policies. For this foundational knowledge please see the Veritas NetBackup 7.7.x: Administration course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
• Identify and describe each of the Veritas Appliance
family models, software releases and the major
features of each of those models.
• Describe the process of performing a basic
configuration of the Appliance using the NetBackup
Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup
Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH).
• Describe backups and restores using an appliance
and run reports from the NetBackup and Appliance
• Review troubleshooting tools and identify
• Describe the process of monitoring and managing
the 5240 appliance using Veritas Remote
Management (VRM) and the NetBackup Appliance
Shell Menu CLISH).
• Describe the process of applying updates to the
appliance software and the effects and options of
performing a reset or a reimage and
decommissioning an appliance.
• Identify common Appliance hardware faults or
failures and management tasks for the appliance.
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for Administrators, Operators,
and other IT professionals who need to understand the
general configuration, operations, monitoring and
management concepts of a NetBackup Appliance.
Before attending this course, you should also have an
understanding and working knowledge of networking
fundamentals, storage fundamentals, Linux command
fundamentals and general NetBackup concepts such as
storage units and backup policies.
This course includes hands-on labs with a virtual
appliance, demonstrations, and videos that enable you to
run commands, view reports and observe procedures
and begin to apply them in your working environment.
Introduction and Overview
• Describe each of the NetBackup Appliance models
and their major features.
• List the supported NetBackup Appliance software
releases and identify where to locate the
compatibility information for NetBackup appliances.
• Identify the hardware components and configuration
options of the appliance compute units and storage
• Identify information needed to complete the preconfiguration
checklist, identify remote configuration
tasks using Veritas Remote Management and other
initial configuration considerations.
• Describe how to access the Appliance Web Console
for initial appliance configuration using the direct
connect and remote methods and connecting postconfiguration
through the network.
• Identify local configuration tasks using the Appliance
Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell
• Identify the remote configuration tasks using the
Veritas Remote Management (VRM) console
• Validate the appliance configuration by logging into
Copyright c 2016 Veritas Corporation. All rights reserved. Veritas, the Veritas Logo, and Veritas are trademarks or registered trademarks of Veritas Corporation or its affiliates in
the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners. Specifications and product offerings are subject to change without notice.
• Explain functionality differences when using a
NetBackup appliance, and use common NetBackup
features with the appliance.
• Describe backups and restores using an appliance.
• Run reports from the NetBackup and Appliance
interfaces showing backup activity on the appliance.
Appliance Troubleshooting and Tools
• Introduce the online resources available to assist
with troubleshooting the appliance.
• Describe how the indicators, lights and LEDs can be
used to troubleshoot the appliance.
• Describe how to locate and resolve common
Monitoring Appliance Health
• Describe the areas in OpsCenter where Appliance
monitoring information is found.
• Identify monitoring tasks using the Appliance Web
Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu
• Identify the areas in the Veritas Remote
Management console where Appliance monitoring
information is found.
Updates, Resets and Reimage
• Provide an overview for the upgrade process to
• Identify pre-upgrade checks.
• Describe the process for upgrading an appliance.
• Describe appliance resets.
• Explain appliance reimaging.
• Describe how to decommission an appliance.
• Describe how AutoSupport alerts are managed.
• Set a login banner on a NetBackup appliance.
• Identify configuration details for a NetBackup CLI
• Describe the configuration procedure for LDAP and
Active Directory Authentication.
• Explain how to add a storage shelf to the appliance.
• Describe Symantec Data Center Security.
• Describe how to configure SAN Client and Fibre
Appendix A - Configuring and managing 5230
• Appliance Overview
• Appliance Monitoring
• Appliance Tasks
View outline in Word