Special Note to New Hampshire Residents
Veritas NetBackup 8.2: Advanced Administration Course Outline
This course has not yet been approved by the New Hampshire Department of Education. Please contact us for an update on when the class will be available in New Hampshire.
Acquire the skills to make your data protection strategy successful with the Veritas NetBackup 8.2: Advanced Administration course. You will learn advanced NetBackup topics, including NetBackup performance, disaster recovery, application backups on
physical and virtual machines, virtual machine accelerator backups, and security. This course also covers using NetBackup to manage Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft SharePoint database backups.
• 5 days
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
• Improve NetBackup performance by addressing bottlenecks and becoming familiar with NetBackup performance enhancing features.
• Ensure your NetBackup environment and data is secure using security certificates, authentication, authorization, auditing, and encryption.
• Prepare for common disasters and plan for disaster recovery using optimized duplication and Auto Image Replication.
• Optimize NetBackup deduplication storage and use by understanding and managing performance enhancing features for backups and restores, and configuring MSDP catalog protection policies.
• Describe requirements for backing up third-party applications and databases.
• Configure NetBackup to back up and restore Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft SharePoint databases.
• Discuss strategies for Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and Microsoft SharePoint database recovery.
• Configure, run, and manage backups for applications running in virtual machines.
• Configure accelerator for VMware virtual machines.
• Configure, run, and manage backups using NDMP filers with NetBackup.
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for NetBackup system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, and system integration and development staff who are responsible for implementing new and advanced NetBackup 8.2 features and functions.
Students should be familiar with general network and storage concepts, and the administration and configuration of Windows or Linux operating systems. Students must also have one to three years of experience with basic NetBackup administration,
configuration, and operation. These
prerequisites can be met by attending any version of the NetBackup Administration course plus additional on-the-job experience.
This course includes practical hands-on lab exercises to apply your new skills in a virtual NetBackup domain. At the start of class students will choose between Windows-based or Linux-based NetBackup servers to perform lab exercises.
Improving NetBackup Performance
• NetBackup performance overview
• Addressing performance issues
• Managing True Image Restore and synthetic backups
• Managing FlashBackup backups
• Using Network Resiliency
Securing the NetBackup Environment
• Understanding security concerns in a backup environment
• Securing NetBackup port communication
• Understanding security certificates
• Configuring NetBackup security certificates
• Configuring NetBackup with access control
• Auditing NetBackup
Securing Backup Data
• Understanding security concerns in a backup environment
• Encrypting NetBackup deduplication data
• Using NetBackup client encryption
• Using NetBackup Key Management Services
Auto Image Replication
• Introduction to Auto Image Replication
• Configuring trusted master servers
• Configuring Auto Image Replication
• Monitoring Auto Image Replication
• Restoring from a replicated and imported image
• Managing and maintaining Auto Image Replication
Optimizing NetBackup Deduplication
• Understanding MSDP architecture
• Improving deduplication backup performance
• Optimizing deduplication restores and rehydration
• Protecting the MSDP backup data and catalog Implementing NetBackup Cloud Solutions
Implementing NetBackup Cloud Solutions
• Using the cloud with NetBackup
• Configure NetBackup cloud storage
• Managing NetBackup cloud storage and cloud backups
• NetBackup CloudCatalyst overview
Understanding Application Backup Concepts
• Application protection concepts
• Database backup and restore concepts
• Customizing generic application backups
Managing Oracle Backups
• Introduction to the Oracle database
• Configuring Oracle database backups
• Monitoring and maintaining Oracle database backups
• Oracle database disaster recovery considerations
Managing Microsoft SQL Backups
• Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server
• Configuring NetBackup for SQL Server Intelligent Policies
• Monitoring SQL Server database backups
• SQL Server disaster recovery considerations
Managing Microsoft SharePoint Backups
• Introduction to Microsoft SharePoint Server
• Configuring NetBackup for SharePoint policies
• SharePoint disaster recovery considerations
Managing Microsoft Exchange Backups
• Introduction to Microsoft Exchange Server
• Configuring NetBackup for Exchange
• Exchange and high availability environments
• Monitoring and maintaining Exchange database backups
• Exchange disaster recovery considerations
Enhancing Virtual Machine Protection
• Protecting virtual machines with applications
• Using NetBackup Accelerator for virtual machine backups
• Restoring individual VDMK files
Disaster Recovery and NetBackup
• Disaster recovery strategies
• Controlling media servers used for restores
Managing NDMP Backups
• Introduction to NetBackup for NDMP
• Preparing for NDMP backups
• Configuring local NDMP backup
• Configuring remote NDMP backups
• Accelerator for NDMP filers
• Protecting a NetApp cDOT NDMP filer
Modern workload protection
• Parallel Streaming Framework
• Protecting Big Data
• Protecting Hyper Converged Infrastructures
• Protecting Open Source Data
Appendix A: Managing NDMP Three-way backups
• Understanding NDMP three-way backups
• Configuring NDMP three-way backups
Appendix B: Managing Oracle backups using legacy policies
• Configuring NetBackup with legacy Oracle policies
• Monitoring and maintaining Oracle database backups from legacy policies
Appendix C: Managing Microsoft SQL backups using legacy policies
• Using the NetBackup Microsoft SQL Client console
• Using SQL server batch files in NetBackup policies
Appendix D: NetBackup API
• Introduction to NetBackup API
View outline in Word