- AT1240 Course Outline
Special Note to New Hampshire Residents
This course has not yet been approved by the New Hampshire Department of Education. Please contact us for an update on when the class will be available in New Hampshire.
The Altiris Asset Management Suite 7.1 Administration course is designed for the asset management professional tasked with installing, configuring, administering, and using Asset Management Suite 7.1 to manage corporate assets in an ITIL-focused environment.
This course is for asset management administrators and any other asset management personnel who are involved in installing, configuring, managing, and administering Altiris Asset Management Suite 7.1.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
• Install Asset Management Suite.
• Populate the CMDB by using migration tools, network discovery, and imported data from a variety of sources.
• Set up role-based security for the Asset Management Suite environment.
• Build out your asset management organizational structure.
• Make bulk changes to CMDB data; and add new resource types, resource association types, and data classes to the Asset Management Suite environment.
• Use the asset management portals to manage assets, contracts, software licensing compliance, procurement processes, and barcoding features.
• Configure and use IT Analytics to build custom asset management reports.
• Install and run the asset management workflows.
• Students must have attended the Symantec Management Platform 7.1: Administration course, or possess equivalent experience with Symantec Management Platform.
• Students must have basic working knowledge of Microsoft Windows client and server operating systems, and network concepts, including LANs, network adapter cards, and drivers.
• Symantec software and services and Asset Management Suite
• Purpose of Asset Management Suite
• Components of Asset Management Suite
• Supporting components
• The Asset Management Suite environment
Installing Asset Management Suite
• System requirements
• Demonstration: Installing Asset Management Suite
The Symantec Management Platform Resource Model
• Understanding assets, configuration items and resources
• Defining elements of the resource model
• Exploring elements of the resource model
• Advanced topic: Tables and views used in the resource model
• Creating custom resource types, resource association types and data classes
• Hands-On Labs: Categorizing asset types, configuration item types and resource types; exploring the characteristics of resource types, resource association types and data classes; exploring the resource type hierarchy; creating a custom data class; creating a custom resource type; creating a custom resource association type; executing SQL scripts to examine the resource model (optional)
Migrating, Discovering and Importing Assets
• Migrating assets from SAMS 6.5 to AMS 7.1
• Discovering and importing network assets
• Hands-On Labs: Importing SAMS 6.5 assets using the migration wizard; migrating software license resources; importing from Microsoft Active Directory; discovering computers using Domain Membership/WINS
Security and Organizational Views and Groups
• Security roles
• Organizational Views and Groups
• Hands-On Labs: Creating a security role; exploring the Create/Edit/Delete Resource Change History Filters privilege; exploring the RAD Create Global View privilege
Setting Up the Organizational Structure
• Organizational types in Asset Management Suite
• Creating locations
Creating cost centers
• Creating departments
• Configuring organizational settings
• Performing organizational housekeeping tasks
• Running Organizational Types reports
• Hands-On Labs: Creating a location configuration item; creating a cost center configuration item; creating a department configuration item; configuring accounting periods, base currency and organizational hierarchy update settings; reviewing license usage and organizational types reports
• Preparing to create computer assets
• Manually creating computer assets
• Creating edit views
• Creating other assets
• Running asset reports
• Hands-On Labs: Creating depreciation schedules; creating data entry default values for new computer resources and configuring ownership settings; creating an edit view used with computer resources and creating a computer resource; reviewing depreciation and asset reports
Importing Assets with CMDB Solution and Data Connector
• About CMDB Solution and Data Connector
• Creating data source definitions
• Creating and scheduling data transfer rules
• Creating CMDB rules
• Hands-On Labs: Creating a CSV file data source; creating an LDAP data source; creating an ODBC data source; creating an OLEDB data source; creating a resource import rule; creating a run connector rule task; creating a filter import rule; creating an organizational group import rule; creating a CMDB rule
• Performing asset maintenance tasks
• Performing asset end-of-life tasks
• Hands-On Labs: Assigning computer's ownership and cleaning ownership; automatically merging duplicate computers; manually merging duplicate resources; performing an inventory to asset synchronization; updating network resource locations; retiring an asset
Working with Contracts
Contract management challenges
• Preparing to create contract resources
• Creating contract resources
• Configuring the "Contracts expiring in the next N days" automation policies
• Running contract reports
• Hands-On Labs: Creating contracts; enabling the "Contract Expiring in the Next xx Days" automation policies; reviewing contract reports
Working with Software Licensing
• The Asset Management Suite software license compliance model
• Setting up software license management in Asset Management Suite
• Using master license agreements to group licenses
• Running software licensing reports
• Hands-On Labs: Creating software products and associating software components; creating software purchases; creating software license contracts; reviewing software product information in the Resource Manager
Working with Procurement
• Overview of procurement management in Asset Management Suite
• Preparing the procurement environment
• Requesting, ordering, and receiving purchases
• Running procurement reports
• Hands-On Labs: Creating a stockroom and supplier company; creating catalogs, catalog items and bundles; creating purchase requests, generating purchase orders, generating invoices and receiving items
Working with Barcode Solution
• Overview of Barcode Solution
• Preparing to work with Barcode
• Working with Barcode on a handheld device
• Working with Barcode in the Symantec Management Console
• Running Barcode Solution reports
• Hands-On Labs: Creating a synchronization template and synchronization profile; installing the Symantec Barcode Manager and Symantec Barcoder software; performing a Symantec Barcoder initial synchronization; creating a scanning rule; searching for and editing assets; using the items in the View menu; using the items in the Update menu; using the items in the Create / Receive menu; using the items in the Audit menu; resolving batch conflicts
Reporting Asset Management Information Using IT Analytics
• Preparing to work with IT Analytics asset management items
• Reviewing Key Performance Indicators and Dashboards
• Working with IT Analytics asset management detailed reports
• Working with IT Analytics asset management cubes
Working with the Asset Management Workflows
• Overview of the asset management workflows
• Workflow Server system requirements
• Setting up the Workflow Server
• Data configuration requirements
• Installing the asset management workflows
• Performing post-installation configuration
• Using the asset ownership validation workflow
• Using the purchase request workflows
• Using the lease notification workflow
View outline in Word