Analyzing Data with Excel - 20779 Course Outline
The main purpose of the course is to give students the ability to add BI techniques to Excel data analysis. The course goes beyond the capabilities of tables and charts and uses Pivot Charts, the Excel Data Model, and Power BI.
*** NOTE: This class also available in On-Demand, eLearning Format ***
Too busy at work to miss 5 days out of the office to take this class? Consider the MOC On-Demand version of this course. Watch videos developed by Microsoft, take the same hands-on labs, access an online expert 24/7, and study at on your own time, at your own pace. For details on this alternative format, go to
MOC On-Demand 20779: Analyzing Data with Excel
This course is intended for anyone responsible for analyzing data with Excel.
The course will likely be attended by SQL Server report creators who are interested in alternative methods of presenting data.
Special Note to New Hampshire Residents
This course has not yet been approved by the State's Department of Education. Please contact us to get an update as to when the class should be available in New Hampshire.
Before attending this course, students must have:
• Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
• Good Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets, functions, and charts.
• Working knowledge of relational databases.
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
• Explore and extend a classic Excel dashboard.
• Explore and extend an Excel data model.
• Pre-format and import a .CSV file.
• Import data from a SQL Server database
• Import data from a report.
• Create measures using advanced DAX functions.
• Create data visualizations in Excel.
• Create a Power BI dashboard with Excel.
Module 1: Data Analysis in Excel
This module looks at the classic Excel dashboard and at ways to extend it.
• Classic Data Analysis with Excel
• Excel Pivot Tables
• Limitations of Classic Data Analysis
Lab : Building a Classic Excel Dashboard
• Filtering and Formatting Data
• Building a Pivot Table
• Building a Pivot Chart
• Building a Dashboard
Module 2: The Excel Data Model
This module looks at the classic Excel data model and at ways to extend it.
• Using an Excel Data Model
Lab : Explore an Excel Data Model
• Create Calculated Columns
• Format Data Model Data
• Create Measures
• Analyze the Data
Module 3: Importing Data from Files
This module looks at pre-formatting and importing CSV files.
• Importing Data into Excel
• Shaping and Transforming Data
• Loading Data
Lab : Importing Data from a CSV File
• Import and Transform Data from a CSV File
• Add Data from a Folder
Module 4: Importing Data from Databases
This module looks at how to import data into Excel from a SQL Server database.
• Available Data Sources
• Previewing, Shaping, and Transforming Data
• Table Relationships and Hierarchies
• Loading Data
Lab : Import Data from Multiple Sources
• Import Data from SQL Server
• Import Data from a CSV File
• Create a Data Table
Module 5: Importing Data from Excel Reports
This module describes how to import data from a report.
• Importing Data from Excel Reports
• Transforming Excel report Data
Lab : Importing Data from a Report
• Import Data from Excel
• Transform the Excel Data
• Load the Data into an Excel Data Model
Module 6: Creating and Formatting Measures
This module describes how to create and format measures.
• Advanced DAX Functions
Lab : Creating Measures using Advanced DAX Functions
• Last year comparison
• Year to date
• Market Share
Module 7: Visualizing Data in Excel
This module describes how to visualize data in Excel.
• Pivot Charts
• Cube Functions
• Charts for Cube Functions
Lab : Data Visualization in Excel
• Create a Tabular Report
• Create a Pivot Chart
• Add Slicers to Charts
Module 8: Using Excel with Power BI
This module describes how to use Excel with Power BI.
• Power BI
• Uploading Excel Data to Power BI
• Power BI Mobile App
Lab : Creating a Power BI Dashboard with Excel
• Uploading Excel Data
• Creating a Power BI Dashboard
View outline in Word