Analyzing Data with Power BI - 10989 Course Outline
This two-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills analyze data with Power BI. Because this is a Microsoft-developed and authorized course, organizations can use Software Assurance Vouchers for payment.
The primary audience for this course is BI professionals who need to analyze data utilizing Power BI.
The secondary audiences for this course are technically proficient business users.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
• Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
• Basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas).
• Some exposure to basic programming concepts (such as looping and branching).
• An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel.
These prerequisites can be achieved by attending courses
• 20761A – Querying Data with Transact-SQL
• 20767A - Implementing a SQL Server Data Warehouse
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
• Describe key features of a self-service BI solution
• Describe Power BI and its data sources
• Model, shape, and combine data
• Describe Power BI data visualizations
Module 1: Introduction to Self-Service BI Solutions
In this module students will be introduced to the key concepts in business intelligence, data analysis, and data visualization. In addition they will learn the rationale for self-service BI, considerations for using self-service BI, and how Microsoft products can be used to implement a self-service BI solution.
Introduction to business intelligence
Introduction to data analysis
Introduction to data visualization
Overview of self-service BI
Considerations of self-service BI
Microsoft tools for self-service BI
Lab : Exploring an enterprise BI solution
Module 2: Introducing Power BI
This module introduces Power BI.
The Power BI service
Power BI mobile apps
Lab : Cresting a Power BI dashboard
Module 3: Power BI Data
This module describes Power BI data sources.
Using Excel as a Power BI data source
Using databases as a Power BI data source
The Power BI service
Lab : Import data into Power BI
Module 4: Shaping and Combining Data
This module describes how to shape and combine data.
Power BI desktop queries
Lab : Shaping and combining data
Module 5: Modelling Data
This module describes how to model data in Power BI.
Calculations and measures
Lab : Modelling data
Module 6: Interactive Data Visualizations
This module describes Power BI visualizations.
Creating Power BI reports
Managing a Power BI solution
Lab : Creating a Power BI report
View outline in Word