Veritas NetBackup 8.0: Maintenance and Troubleshooting Course Outline
Special Note to New Hampshire Residents
This course has not yet been approved by the State's Department of Education. Please contact us to get an update as to when the class should be available in New Hampshire.
The NetBackup 8.0: Maintenance and Troubleshooting course provides the IT professional with instruction on troubleshooting Veritas NetBackup software. This course covers general error detection tools and troubleshooting methodologies. Students practice solving problems related to the NetBackup database, devices, media, disk,
deduplication, and networking. In addition, students study the functions of key NetBackup processes and how to enable, view, and manage the associated logs.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
• Detect problems using tools such as the NetBackup reports, NBSU, and administrative commands.
• Correct problems and verify these corrections.
• Understand the functions of services, daemons, and processes that drive NetBackup operations.
• Back up, recover, and troubleshoot the NetBackup catalog, including the NBDB database.
• Rapidly and accurately isolate the root cause of a backup failure.
• Troubleshoot a wide variety of tape device, media, disk, deduplication, and communication-related problems.
• Enable and use legacy, unified, and robust logging to troubleshoot problems.
• Run backups and restores with a higher rate of success and efficiency.
• Troubleshoot important features such as VMWare and Hyper-V backups and Storage Lifecycle policies (SLP).
Who Should Attend
This course is for NetBackup administrators, operators, system engineers, and technical support personnel who want to broaden their NetBackup advanced troubleshooting knowledge and skills on a Windows or UNIX platform.
Before attending this course, you must have:
• One year of NetBackup administration on Windows or UNIX
• Two years experience as a system administrator, including networking, on the Windows or UNIX operating system
• Familiarity with backup and restore concepts and SAN concepts
Troubleshooting Methods and Tools
• Troubleshooting situations and methodology
• Gathering symptoms and information
• Additional troubleshooting resources
NetBackup Process Flow
• Core process functions overview
• Backup process flow
• Tape restore process flow
• Disk restore process flow
• Viewing process flow information
Troubleshooting Communication Issues
• Understanding NetBackup communication
• Configuring NetBackup and network communication
• Troubleshooting network and NetBackup communication problems
• Common NetBackup communication issues
Troubleshooting Tape Devices and Media
• NetBackup device troubleshooting
• Common NetBackup device issues
• Media and device selection
• Media-related status codes
• Troubleshooting frozen and suspended media
Troubleshooting Disk Backups Resources
• Overview of disk-based backups
• Maintaining and Troubleshooting Basic Disk
• Maintaining and Troubleshooting Advanced Disk
• Maintaining and Troubleshooting OpenStorage
Troubleshooting NetBackup Deduplication
• Understanding NetBackup deduplication and deduplication process flow
• Maintaining and troubleshooting NetBackup deduplication
• Protecting from MSDP server failure
Additional Backup and Restore Troubleshooting
• Troubleshooting file system backups
• Troubleshooting snapshot-based backups
• Troubleshooting VMware backups
• Troubleshooting Hyper-V backups
• Troubleshooting restores
Troubleshooting Storage Lifecycle Policies
• Understanding Storage Lifecycle Policies
• Troubleshooting Storage Lifecycle Policies
• Troubleshooting data classification
• Understanding Auto Image Replication
• Troubleshooting Auto Image Replication
• Preparing to gather debug logs
• Enabling debug logs
• Performing log management
• Capturing debug logs
Introduction to Log Analysis
• Preparing for debug log analysis
• Viewing debug logs
• Analyzing debug logs for a successful backup job
• Analyzing debug logs for a failed backup job
Understanding the NetBackup Catalog
• The NetBackup catalog
• The NetBackup relational databases (NBDB)
• Catalog backup and recovery
• Maintaining the NBDB
View outline in Word